Friday 25 October 2013

Oil Painting Lesson 3: The Painting Begins

For yesterday's class I began painting my image. At first I was rather overzealous and painted the entire background in one go. However, the colour was too dark so I started over. I was advised to take a slower approach, by observing individual areas and to mix colours for that specific region. It's a slow process, but once you get the right colours it's quite rewarding.

The sky outside Frank Joubert
Above: The sky last night, taken outside Frank Joubert.
The pictures below show me trying to mix the correct colours. The left image shows colour swatches which I hold up next to the reference image to give me an idea if I am getting the right colour.

Mixing colour swatchesSome more colour mixing.My easel.



No comments:

Post a Comment